Monday 27 April 2015

Circuit Training


In desperation I cried out to Breastfeeding in Ballincollig for a "reason to walk somewhere" and I have now found myself all set for circuit training on Tuesday. God only knows why I need BFing support for my lack of fitness....I suppose it is related to being pinned under a little person on my couch a lot of the time....

...excuses...

...excuses...




But they do tell you that breastfeeding helps moms to lose the baby weight. I have not found that to be true and I'm not the only one. I find myself pinned to the couch and unable to get away from my baby for any decent stretch of time to exercise. Who wants to exercise when they have a guzzler to snuggle with instead? My weight has been the last thing on my mind.

I have also found the immense hunger quite overpowering. I laugh as I say it but it's not funny really: We had a huge bowl of rice on the table today (a "help yourself" dinner) and my 3 yo shouted at me "Don't eat all the rice mom". I looked at my OH with a look that tried to convey that the child was slightly nuts to think I could eat that much rice and to my surprise he said in a serious tone "don't eat it all, it's for all of us" and reached out to take it....as if I would!!! Well that's the thing, I would...and on a day when someone is late to dinner or doesn't finish it I gobble gobble gobble another portion or two. "I don't like my dinner" is met with delight in this house. More for me!!!! Being at home also has meant that I have had constant access to snacks and not just the 11 O'Clock and lunchtime breaks to stuff my face. To be fair I'm not gaining weight and I am eating all around me -I'd never get away with that if I wasn't breastfeeding, but then I might not be so hungry either!

I won't say I'm worried about losing the baby weight -though shopping is of course a nicer experience when cloth fit better. I'm about a size 14, 5 foot 10 and my BMI is just on the healthy side of the line for "overweight". After previous babies I lost a fair bit of weight with little effort once I got back to work so I'm half expecting that to happen. I'm fine with the weight I am anyway. I am more worried about health and fitness. I just know my upper body strength, core muscles and general fitness levels are CAT!! They have never been good to begin with. I read somewhere or other that fitness is more of an indicator of health than BMI.....I think I'd been a little complacent that I'm in a healthy weight category.
so Circuit Training on Tuesday...what am I getting myself in for?

will keep you updated on how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment