Friday 6 September 2013

Potty Progress

I'm not sure where we're going with this one but I've prioritized this topic amongst the oddities as our "potty progress" is most certainly the oddest thing about us at the moment.

I'll start at the beginning.



Some boosters: in case you're lost.

They soak up a lot.

Some time in early August my little man's bum was sore and to allow it to get better I took his nappies off. I didn't want him sitting in a wet or dirty nappy at all if that was going to hurt him. I didn't stuff my pockets (you might need to join the cloth nappy chat group if I've lost you there) and instead piled up the boosters on the radiator in the kitchen in preparation. I expected pee on the floor and the couch at the very least. I did not expect any pee in the potty. I hadn't honestly considered what I was going to do about poo on the floor or the couch. I must not have expected any poo at all or perhaps I was fearless that day (oh yes, lets go with that instead, ) but I didn't expect anything as exciting as a poo in the potty.




By some stroke of luck or perhaps some randomly excellent parenting (yes, lets go with that instead, I'm starting to make a great impression here) my then almost 23 month old decided that it was best to use the potty. It's probably relevant that he'd seen his 4yo brother use it in emergency situations when our loo was too far down the hall. I won't show you pictures. I didn't take any. I should have been delighted or at least exited. I wasn't. I had a moan about it on the cloth nappy chat group. I posted:
Bad news. It looks like my DS2 is ready to potty train. He's peeing in the potty all by himself these days. What will I do with all these nappies? not impressed.
and received much understanding and sympathy. Suggestions ranged from having another baby immediately, storing for next baby in vacuum bags, nappy donation to the library or a charity or simply ignoring the potty progress and insisting that he wear fluff a little longer. Oh the irony of it all. I felt very hard done by. Murphy's law. Co-found a Cloth Nappy Library and look what happens.


Before I knew it we were down to one nappy at night and one for the car. Another crisis i knew only my fluffy friends would understand. I posted: 
At the potty training stage with only the night nappies and the odd one for the car on the go....what do we do about laundry? Do people leave the usual ~10 build up before doing a wash -that would be 5 days!!! or do I wash 4 nappies every second day?
Again the support was fantastic with many suggestions: waiting, washing a few, rinsing and washing later, popping in with the clothes, washing by hand -were amongst my options. We've been washing every 3 days, so 6 nappies or so. If you joined that group I mentioned there, you may have already become somewhat aware of the addiction to "fluff". I have over 20 lovely nappies. I'd invested in some new ones when little Comfort were closing down....and there goes my not-yet-two-year-old defying my needs. It was a difficult time.

Just the two :(

A few weeks on and we're coping with the situation. We're happy not to be cleaning or changing nappies. He'll be 2 next week and we're proud of his determination. There is one outstanding issue and it's the part that makes us very "odd".

The child cannot cope with pants, yet 

(I'm presuming he will at some stage).

So, we're living with an almost 2yo boy who does not ever wear pants. It's all good and well -entirely convenient at this stage really...until someone comes to visit and he tries to pee in a carton of orange juice. (Let's not get into "who left the OJ on the floor").

ummmm

For the sake of OJ, the child needs a pants. If you've found this tale of woe to be entertaining or if you feel the urge to help us on to the pants stage.....you might like to join this facebook group:

Potty Progress (Ireland)

If, on the other hand, it's been gross and tedious you might consider joining this group when your little one gets to this stage....not everyone wants to be turned off OJ for life you know!






No comments:

Post a Comment